About this walk
This walk covers part of Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
It takes about 3 hours to complete the full 9 kilometre walk, with plenty of breaks and photography stops.
A brisk walker can do this much faster, but consider that there's a lot to see along the way.
Getting there and back
Get the train to Mount Kuring-gai using transportnsw.info. Plan your return trip from Berowra at transportnsw.info.
Along the way
Exit the station to the left and cross the pedestrian bridge.
Continue all the way down Harwood Ave to the trailhead.
From the trailhead start down the dirt road.
The trail continues to the left at the split in the track.
Follow the split in the road to the right to a lookout.
Continue along the path to a rough stone staircase.
Just before the stone staircase an overgrown path to the left leads to another lookout.
After the staircase the path continues all the way to a lookout at the end of the ridge.
From the lookout take the track to the right, which descends down to the water.
At the bottom of the descent start following the track along the water to the left.
The trail follows the edge of Cowan Creek around several smaller bays.
Eventually the track turns left into a wide shallow bay with buoys.
Halfway up the bay the remains of a barge are stuck in the mud.
The trail starts following the left bank if the creek up the gully, away from the bay.
After crossing the creek a zig zag path ascends to the top of the ridge.
At the top of the ridge, cross the viaduct across the freeway.
The train station can be found to the left, directly after the viaduct.
What to bring
- Check the national parks website for possible detours, closures and restrictions.
- Install an OpenStreetMap app for Android or iOS and preload the area.
- Download the GPS data if your device can import it.
- Print out this map and get a better one from a visitor information centre if possible.
- Be sure to leave enough charge in your phone's battery for emergency calls.
- Bring plenty of water, comfortable shoes, a hat and SPF 30 sunscreen.
- Also bring a light windbreaker/raincoat in case you get caught out in the rain.