About this walk
This walk follows part of the Grand Pacific Drive.
It takes about 7 hours to complete the full 28 kilometre walk, with plenty of breaks and photography stops.
A brisk walker can do this much faster, but consider that there's a lot to see along the way.
Getting there and back
Get the train to Wollongong using transportnsw.info
. Get the train to Coalcliff using transportnsw.info
Along the way
From the station follow Station Street and then Crown Street to the shopping mall.
Follow the mall and continue along Crown Street past the stadium to the beach.
Cross Lang Park to the footpath to the lighthouse.
From the ligthouse follow Endeavour Drive and continue around the harbour.
Take the footpath to the rockpools and continue on to North Wollongong Beach.
From the North Wollongong Beach carpark follow the footpath through the park.
The path ends on Squires Way. Cross the bridge and enter the Puckeys Estate directly after.
Follow the boardwalk and footpath through Puckeys Estate to Towradgi Beach.
From the surf club follow the beach or the bike path to Towradgi Beach.
Walk around Towradgi Point and continue along the beach to Bellambi Point.
Walk around Belambi Point and follow the road from the carpark to Bellambi Beach.
Follow Bellambi Beach or the bike path along the beach to the Woonona Rock Pool.
From the Woonona Rock Pool follow Bulli Beach to Waniora Point.
Walk around Waniora Point and follow Sandon Point Beach.
Continue around Sandon Point and follow McCauley’s Beach.
At the end of Thirroul Beach walk around the headland via the road.
From the Austinmer surf club cross the beaches and follow the road around Brickyard Point.
Follow the footpath after Brickyard Point past Sharky Beach.
Walk along Lawrence Hargrave Drive past Coledale Beach.
Continue along Lawrence Hargrave Drive through Wombarra, Scarborough, and Clifton.
Cross the Seacliff Bridge along the footpath.
After the bridge turn right through Coalcliff and follow the signs to the station.
The Station is a short distance up Lawrence Hargrave Drive from Coalcliff.
What to bring
- Check the national parks website for possible detours, closures and restrictions.
- Install an OpenStreetMap app for Android or iOS and preload the area.
- Download the GPS data if your device can import it.
- Print out this map and get a better one from a visitor information centre if possible.
- Be sure to leave enough charge in your phone's battery for emergency calls.
- Bring plenty of water, comfortable shoes, a hat and SPF 30 sunscreen.
- Also bring a light windbreaker/raincoat in case you get caught out in the rain.