About this walk
This walk covers part of Illawarra Escarpment State Conservation Area.
It takes about 5 hours to complete the full 17 kilometre walk,
but plan extra for plenty of breaks and photography stops.
Consider that there's a lot to see along the way.
Getting there and back
Get the train to Stanwell Park using transportnsw.info. Plan your return trip from Thiroul at transportnsw.info.
Along the way
The trail starts directly at the train platform.
From the platform trackhead follow the Wodi Wodi Track.
Watch for arrows and signs pointing out the rough bushtrail.
The track crosses a rocky creek. It's easy to miss the trail marker on the far side.
At the sign leave the Wodi Wodi track and follow the Forest Walk up the ridge.
Follow the walking track to the left along the top of the ridge.
Watch out for several small side trails leading to lookouts.
The trail intersects several fire trails. Watch for signs showing where the trail continues.
The trail ends at the Siblime Point Lookout and visitor centre.
The Sublime Point Track starts down the escarpment on the south end of the lookouts.
Follow the many stairs and steps down the escarpment to the forest below.
At the bottom of the climb follow the directions down the Gibson Track.
Follow the signs down the Gibson Track all the way to the trailhead.
From the tralhead follow Phillip Street back to the town centre and train station.
What to bring
- Check the national parks website for possible detours, closures and restrictions.
- Install an OpenStreetMap app for Android or iOS and preload the area.
- Download the GPS data if your device can import it.
- Print out this map and get a better one from a visitor information centre if possible.
- Be sure to leave enough charge in your phone's battery for emergency calls.
- Bring plenty of water, comfortable shoes, a hat and SPF 30 sunscreen.
- Also bring a light windbreaker/raincoat in case you get caught out in the rain.