About this walk
Part of this walk covers Rumbalara Reserve.
It takes about 7 hours to complete the full 25 kilometre walk,
but plan extra for plenty of breaks and photography stops.
Consider that there's a lot to see along the way.
Getting there and back
Get the train to Woy Woy using transportnsw.info. Plan your return trip from Lisarow at transportnsw.info.
Along the way
From the station follow Brisbane Water Drive along along the railway.
Cross the bridge and go down the steps under the bridge immeately after.
- 1h / 2km Alternatively continue following the bike park along the bay to Point Claire.
Pass under the bridge and train line to Lare Street.
From the right side of Lara Street, follow the firetrail up the ridge.
After th steep climb follow the firetail along the ridge past several lookouts.
Cross Corrumbine Creek and continue the next ridge.
At the intersection follow the Milyerra Road Firetrail to the right.
Near the end of the firetrail, follow the bushtrail to the left.
Descend the steps down to Penang Street and follow Bribane Water Drive to the left.
Follow the path around the lake and head left down Yallambee Avenue. The alternative route continues from here.
Cross the highway and follow the footpath to the right across the bridge and past a racing track.
Continue along the highway past the bridge over the railway tracks and continue along the lakefront.
From the reserve along the lake, follow Georgiana Terrace all the way uphill.
Turn left at the intersection with John Whiteway Dr to find the carpark of Rumbala Reserve on the right.
Ascend the steps from the carpark and follow the walking trail to the right and then up to the top of the hill.
+ 0.25h / 1km Optionally follow the Casuarina track around the picnic area.
Near the top of the hill, past the Rain Forest track, start following the Flannel Flower track.
The Flanel Flower track ends at a picnic area and lookout.
On the side of the road, past the lookout, the walking trail continues on the left.
One of the remaining statues of explorer is left along the trail.
The trail ends at a picnic area and lookout of Katandra Reserve.
From the reserve follow Atkinson Road to the Taylor Road firetrail at the end.
Follow the Taylor Road firetrail across Mount Elliot.
From the intersection follow The Ridgeway left to Lisarow station.
What to bring
- Check the national parks website for possible detours, closures and restrictions.
- Install an OpenStreetMap app for Android or iOS and preload the area.
- Download the GPS data if your device can import it.
- Print out this map and get a better one from a visitor information centre if possible.
- Be sure to leave enough charge in your phone's battery for emergency calls.
- Bring plenty of water, comfortable shoes, a hat and SPF 30 sunscreen.
- Also bring a light windbreaker/raincoat in case you get caught out in the rain.